Next year’s 2012 National Canadian Barista Championship will take place at the Canadian Coffee & Tea Show at the Toronto International Centre, Sep. 9-10, 2012. This year’s host sponsors and local committees did a superb job in hosting and operating the events. The Canadian Barista Regional Sanctioning Committee (SC) hopes again to stimulate local sponsorship and a grassroots enthusiasm for the event by building a solid local foundation of sponsors, volunteers and other invested players.
Once again, we are asking for proposals from organizing committees to host this event. This is necessary to keep this whole process transparent and the events open to all. The bids will be open for all proposals until January 31st, 2012. All proposals will be considered by the SC comprised of members of the Canadian Barista Academy, Fulcrum Events, the Coffee Association of Canada and the Canadian Head Judges Committee. The winning regional hosts will be notified by February 15, 2012.
We hope you are interested in again participating in these events. Remember, they can be as simple or elaborate as you make them. They are extremely time and energy rich events and many volunteer hands and hours are required. In this economy we must be wise with our expenditures. Although we must promote and put on a good show, we need to be prudent in deciding where dollars are spent. The purpose is to run a good fair contest. If we need to scale down to fit the budget, then we must do so.
Other issues such as publicity, advertising, audience experience, prizing, food, beverage, though very important will take a back seat in order ensure that we have a proper, fair, and competent regional championship that will select winners to the nationals.
We would like to hear from you on your interest in hosting these events for 2012 and timelines. We ask that you form your committees, if you have not already. Please email the attached form by January 31st 2012, along with a budget and marketing plan for the event.
Fulcrum Media Inc.
Phone: 1. 866. 688. 0504 ext. 141
Fax: 1. 877. 560. 1445
Should you inquire clarification or have any questions please contact Vida Radovanovic, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE CANADIAN BARISTA REGIONAL SANCTIONING COMMITTEE AND REGIONAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEES FOR REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Canadian Barista Championship (CBC) is an official competition sanctioned by World Coffee Events (WCE).The winner of the CBC qualifies to represent Canada at the World Barista Championship (WBC), which is just one of many WCE world championships.
All official Canadian national WCE sanctioned Competitions are under the auspices of the sanctioned Canadian Body, the Coffee Association of Canada (CAC). The CAC has designated the Canadian Barista Academy (CBA) as its competition coordinator.
The CBA ‘s responsibilities include but are not limited to :
Ensuring fair competitions. CBA has veto power over any aspects of the competitions that threaten the fairness of competitions.
Approve stage setups, machinery and all components of the competition.
Train, and administer a competent and objective judging pool.
The CBA has delegated the full responsibility of maintaining and monitoring the judging pool to the Canadian Head Judge Committee (CHJC) whose current members include Andrea Piccolo, Ian Clark, Michael Yung, and Amber Fox. Associate members for 2011 are Joshua Del Sol, Matthew Lee, Matthew Kolehmainen and Elizabeth Drobigs.
Fulcrum Events is the host of the Canadian National Barista Championship, and provides administrative and marketing support to the SC as well as facility support at its national trade show, The Canadian Coffee & Tea Show.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE Canadian Barista Regional Sanctioning Committee (SC)
The Canadian Barista Regional Sanctioning Committee (referred to in this document as “SC” is comprised of members of the Canadian Barista & Coffee Academy, Fulcrum Events, Coffee Association of Canada and Canadian Head Judges Committee.
- Approve and appoint regional committee members.
- Approve stage layout and set up
- Train, calibrate and certify judges for the competition or appoint a suitable representative.
- SC may negotiate additional funding from other sponsors and suggest a sponsorship fee structure.
- SC will ensure that the competition is run fairly and that all rules are adhered to.
- SC will provide marketing assistance through its web site and email blasts in informing members of the community of the events in each city.
- All titles, authorities, images, pertaining to regional events, trademarked, copyrighted or not, remain the sole property of the SC and any use of the title for other purposes must require written approval from the SC.
- All marketing materials pertaining to regional events must be approved by the SC or its designate prior to publication. Approved materials will contain “Endorsed by” followed by the logos of the Canadian Barista & Coffee Academy, Canadian Coffee Association and Canadian Barista Championship/Canadian Coffee & Tea Show. If the regional organizing committee and any of its members intend to use any of the above logos on any printed or electronic media, written permission must be received from the SC. The WBC logo cannot be used on any regional materials without the written permission of the WBC and the National Sanctioning Body co-ordinator.
- SC or its designate must approve all stage layouts and equipment set up.
- SC or its designate holds veto power over any issues that may create conflict of interest either with competitors, judges, sponsors, signage, or any other issues that may impact the integrity of the event or SC, or are otherwise not condusive to promoting the goodwill of the regional barista competitions.
- SC is the final arbiter of all disputes and conflicts that may arise and may remove or appoint new committee members if it deems it necessary to do so.
- SC is not libel for any financial, insurance or other issues concerning the regional barista competitions and championships and or associated events.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE(S)
- To act in the best interest of the regional championship, the baristas, the SC and the specialty coffee industry.
- To organize the event, and ensure that everything is in place to run a proper championship.
- Committees must provide (if required, as deemed by the SC) airfare and accommodation for a certifying head judge / organizer appointed by the SC or its designate to oversee judges training, approve stage set up, and other matters outlined above.
- Committees are responsible for raising funds to operate the event and therefore are responsible for any shortfalls in funding.
- All funds raised belong to the regional championship event and if the event does not happen, the committee must ensure all funds are returned to sponsors.
- Committees are expected to use sponsorship dollars wisely and solely for the purpose of running, and promoting the regional championships.
- Committees must supply all required equipment and materials outlined in attached excel sheet. Changes can be made to these requirements with the approval of the SC or its designate.
- Committees shall set up a full accounting of revenue and projected expenses, and submit copies to the SC or its designate prior to the event.
- Committees may NOT contract or bind the SC or its designate, Canadian Barista Championship/Canadian Coffee & Tea Show and Coffee Association of Canada to any liability or agreement.
- Any budget surpluses must be either used in prizing, held in trust for future events or other uses that do not benefit the committee members.
- Committees have no authority to determine who may judge or compete, score keep, or what machinery is used on stage.
- Committees will be responsible in sourcing volunteer staff, or paid staff to run the competition.
- Committees are responsible for all marketing and promoting of the event.
- Committees are responsible for insurance for the event and providing a copy of certificate 30days before the event.
- Committees are responsible for recruitment of competitors.
Agreed to this _________ day of _______________ 2011/2012
Signed by committee members for the _____________________ regional barista champion of Canada for the year 2012.
x_______________________ x________________________ x___________________
(print name and company below)
x_______________________ x________________________ x___________________
Please sign and return to: Fulcrum Media Inc., fax 1.877. 560. 1445., e-mail email@example.com or mail to 508 Lawrence Ave. West, suite 201, Toronto, ON, M6A 1A1. This document must be signed and received prior to the event for the regional event to be recognized as a sanctioned Canadian Regional Barista Championship.