We are pleased to announce the final results of the 2012 Western Canadian Regional Barista Championship, held this past weekend June 1-3rd, at the Host Sponsor event, Eat Vancouver. It was a great weekend for all things culinary, as attendees got to sample the best of Vancouver food and drink, and watch the multitude of culinary championships held on various stages.
Over 30,000 Visitors to the newly renovated BC Place Stadium, witnessed a hotly contested event, as baristas battled nerves, and judges, to make 4 espressos, 4 cappuccinos, and 4 specialty drinks in 15 minutes. Congratulations to all involved and good luck to the top 4 finalists, who will go on to represent the Western Canadian Region at the national championship, Sept 9-10 in Toronto.
- Kyle Straw, 49th Parallel Coffee Roasters, Vancouver: 606.5 2 pts
- Grahame Bouvier, Fernwood Coffee, Victoria: 595.5 pts
- Alan Vuong, Caffe Artigiano, Vancouver: 528.0 pts
- James St. Clark, Kafka’s Coffee and Tea, Vancouver: 516.0 pts
- Tristan Mapstone, Discovery Coffee, Victoria: 508 pts
- Daniel Houghton, Cafe Motivo, Kamloops: 429.5 pts
**Top 4 Advance to nationals**
This is the first of 4 regional barista competitions to be held across Canada this year. For more details on the rest of 2012 Canadian Barista Championships competition schedule Please go to http://canadianbaristainstitute.com The Canadian Champion will go on to represent Canada at the World Championships in 2013, rumoured to be in Australia.
Round 1 Results: 2012 Western Canadian Regional Barista Championships
- Kyle straw49th Parallel Coffee Roasters, Vancouver: 623 pts
- Graham Bouvier,Fernwood Coffee, Victoria: 601.5 pts
- Tristan Mapstone, Discovery Coffee, Victoria: 504.5 pts
- Alan Vuong, Caffe Artigiano, Vancouver: 478.5 pts
- Daniel Houghton, Cafe Motivo, Kamloops: 440 pts
- James Saint Clark, Kafka’s Coffee and Tea, Vancouver: 440 pts
- Chris Naylor, Crema, Vancouver: 422 pts
- Julia Barber, Independant: 297 pts